Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Completely Content

"Better is a little with the fear of the Lord, than great treasure and turmoil with it." Proverbs 15:16

A dear friend of mine posted this verse a couple of nights ago. When I read it, it struck a chord within me. It brought to mind what we, as Americans, consider the norm. All of our stuff, that is.

I've had numerous discussions about this subject with friends. One particular discussion, we were talking about when we go in to a store with a list, and how the marketing schemes... *REDUCED*... *CLEARANCE*... *$1 RACKS*.... they all scream our name, and seem to get in our head. We find ourselves reasoning that "it's on sale", "I've never seen a better price on this". But, bottom line, it wasn't on the list to begin with, and I don't need it. I know I've found myself reasoning all of these things, and still placing the item into my shopping cart.

I've also had discussions with my boys concerning this.  Ever since Christmas, we've gone from room to room in our house, trying to clean out, get rid of the things we don't use and organize the things we do. "A place for everything, and everything in its place." That's the well known motto. But, let's face it, staying organized like that is a never ending battle. At least it is for me.

I read this verse, and know for certain that I do absolutely fear the Lord. He is my Saviour. I know Him personally and intimately. I'm awestruck by His holiness and almighty strength. But, I also read the verse and am hit with the realization that having a lot is a distraction to serving Him.

The stuff in my life becomes the nagging clatter that rings in my ears, not allowing me to fully hear and listen to the Holy Spirit that lives in me. Part of me says to just get rid of everything, begin anew. Then, the rational side kicks in and reasons that there are things that we need. There are also things that we don't necessarily NEED, but we do use them, and they're not bad to have in themselves.

I don't know. Perhaps I'm not making much sense. But, I know reading this verse has prompted me to wrestle with the "American dream" mindset a little further.

I WANT to please the Lord in everything I do, and with all I have. Although, sometimes I think it's a little harder to do so when I have so much.

I was reading a book with my youngest this morning, You Are Mine by Max Lucado. The story is about feeling like you don't have enough. The main character in the story, Punchinello, gives up everything that truly matters in order to gain more things, that don't buy him happiness. At the end of the story he finds himself in his makers house, admitting that he isn't happy and that he'd made a mistake. The final line of the story finds Punchinello content.

"And so that night Punchinello slept on a bed of wood shavings. He slept well. It felt good to be in the house of his maker."

I suppose that's where I want to be. Content in the house of my maker.

I know that for me, that means I will have to continue to clean out, probably for the rest of my life. I have 4 boys, and they're constantly growing and changing. That means that their interests will develop and change, bringing new and exciting things into our home. It also means that I will make a point of sticking to my shopping lists, avoiding the sales racks :-).

In all of this thoughtful wrestling, this verse came to mind...

"But godliness is actually a means of great gain, when accompanied by contentment. For we have brought nothing into the world, so we cannot take anything out of it either." 1 Timothy 6:6,7

Yes, Lord, complete contentment is my desire.

3 comments:

  1. Love this post! Thanks for sharing! Have you all watched "You Are Special" by Max Lucado? It's a good one too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've never seen the movie. I'll have to check it out. Isaac, especially loves the book. Thanks, Janet!

    ReplyDelete