Thursday, February 17, 2011

"God is amazing!"

"For this reason I say to you, do not be anxious for your life, as to what you shall eat, or what you shall drink; nor for your body, as to what you shall put on. Is not life more than food, and the body than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they?"
Matthew 6:25-26

My husband spoke about Matthew 6 last night. So, as the boys and I were gathered this morning for school, these verses were at the forefront of my mind.

My oldest was actually the first to notice all of the birds outside our window. When he pointed them out to us, we were able to count 16 of them in 1 tree.

We paused from our school work for a few minutes, and opened the window to listen to them sing, chirping loudly, but beautifully. We watched them fly around, darting from tree to tree. We watched them eat berries, and marveled at how God provides nourishment for them at just the right time. If they arrived back in this area any sooner, the berries wouldn't be ready. The boys also noted that there are plenty of sticks and twigs on the ground, from the winter storms, for the birds to use for their nests.

I was able to talk to the boys about this verse, and how God provides for the animals, in this case, birds. The boys were able to see God's provision firsthand. We talked about how God provides for us, His children. And, because He is our provider, that we have no reason to worry.

The pinnacle moment in our conversation was when my little "I" said, "God is amazing!" He'd been listening intently to me and his brothers talking, while watching the birds fly around and eat. I knew when he said this that he'd "gotten it". He'd realized, as best as he could, just how amazing God is. He was truly in awe of our incredible Creator.

As I listened to my children talk about God , my prayer became that I would take more moments like these to notice an Almighty Creator. I don't want to miss a moment that I could use to teach my children to stand  in awe of Him and His creation.

I'm so glad that this morning my children were the ones who took the moment to notice and teach me.

Here are few pictures that I caught this morning...


No comments:

Post a Comment