Friday, March 2, 2012

pinterest party 2

Joining in again at my friend's pinterest blog party. If you've completed any of your pinned ideas, hop on over to Living with 3 Hobbit and a Giant and join in the fun!

I'm uber excited about this week's completed idea! Not because it turned out as anything extraordinary, but because it's only the beginning of projects to come.



My pinspiration came from a blog I follow...

I love this simple idea for a quilt, and thought it would be a great intro to quilt making.

So, I took some scrap fabric that I had and gave it a try! I didn't have a lot of fabric, so I used 2 fabrics instead of 4, creating a simple checkerboard pattern. And, my printed fabric has dogs on it, so making a dog bed seemed a logical test to start with.


I added a pillow opening in the back and stuffed an old bed pillow (folded over) inside. This will allow for easy washing of both the pillow and bed itself.

Overall, I'm happy with it... and I think our Daisy is too...



I learned to definitely have a test piece of what you're working on. Whether it's just fabric or the entire quilt sandwich., make sure you test your stitch, tightening and loosening accordingly.
This little project took me a little over 2 hours, total. For a newbie sewer... I don't think that's too bad.

While I was making it, all of my boys expressed the desire for a quilt of their own. We made a trip to the fabric store (where all fabric we purchased was 40% off!), and now I'm excited to make each of them a personal quilt. I'll let you know how they turn out ;-).

8 comments:

  1. Wow! I can't believe that took you only 2 hours! Great work- it's so cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily! I was so excited to find this pattern! The basket weave pattern makes something that looks more complicated than it actually is. It's really just straight stitching... if you can sew in a straight line, you're good!

      Delete
  2. I love to make things,and I used to try new ideas all the time - then my kids were born! My husband and I have a philosophy that what is supposed to be 10 minute project, can be sure to turn in to a 2 hour project(or maybe disaster!) in our house! Your project is really neat, and cute pooch too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do understand that feeling. I've had many supposed short projects turn into major undertakings. I too used to make things, constantly. Used to scrapbook, stamp, etc.. And, like you, all of my kiddos came along. For a while, creativity time was little to none. Only recently have I begun carving some time out to create...especially things that are useful.
      Thanks again for your thoughts on "outside of Eden"... still pondering that :).

      Delete
  3. Love it Allyson, and the pup is to die for. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barb! ..and thank you also for the king cake! We enjoyed it for dessert tonight..our oldest got the baby :).

      Delete