Monday, January 9, 2012

Mirror, Mirror

My boys and I are riding in our van, my oldest in the front passenger seat as I drive.
In conversation, he uncharacteristically responds with disrespect in his tone. His words are clouded with sarcasm, and I'm not pleased ... to say the least.
Rage staggers me, from toe to mouth, it rises and comes out in harsh words,
 anger unleashed.
Shaken, I pull over, if only to compose myself.
Quiet overcomes the space, and the Holy Spirit speaks, still,
but surely and straight to my heart.
"You're not helping this situation. Walk humbly.
Treat him with the love and respect I show you."
My only obedient response is plainly in front of me. So, I turn to my son, explain that while his tone and response to me was wrong... I was handling it wrongly myself.
I apologize and, with tear-filled eyes, ask him for his forgiveness.
Nearing composure, renewed in purpose, and abundantly thankful for Christ living in me, I leave the shoulder, pulling back into the traffic.
Not even 2 minutes later, my son takes my hand.
"Mommy.."
This time I turn to see his eyes full of tears. Broken, he says,
"Mommy, I'm sorry. I was wrong for talking to you like I did. Will you forgive me?"
Chrome Heart Frame

Mirror, Mirror

Mirror, mirror, of my heart
May God's reflection be
For it's not only I
Who pays the price
For sin's dark grip on me
 
May my life be Yours
God, shine freely through
That I may turn and see
Look in the mirror, at my boys
And there, Your reflection be

Lovingly

-Allyson
Joining in with Courtney and other Mommy's, at Women Living Well

1 comment:

  1. ((hugs)) to u and prayers as u raise those boys.
    Amen.

    ReplyDelete