Tuesday, March 29, 2011

to Blog, or Not to Blog?

So, I pondered doing this blog for months, and have now been writing and publishing it for 4 months. I have to admit, I had second thoughts while deciding to go through with this blog. While I've kept a journal for many years, and have written many things down, I doubted that sharing things would be "worth it"... or at least that's what I kept telling myself.

With the knowledge of a persistent urge on me to write and share, I finally had to ask myself.
What exactly was holding me back? Why wasn't I being obedient in this? Who was I trying to protect?

The answer was swift... as well as a wake-up call.

I was trying to protect myself.

Protect myself from scrutiny, and perhaps criticism.

See, I knew that I couldn't publish a blog without sharing a piece of my heart. I knew that some of my inmost thoughts would surface. Those who read it would begin to understand me better. And with that, there would be an increased vulnerability.

The possible whispered thoughts and reactions of those reading rang in my head...
"Why is she writing about this? Who really cares?"

But, I was quickly able to quiet the clanging voices, and push forward with publishing my first posts. I was humbled and thankful for the responses from so many of you. Countless numbers of you have either commented on here or FB, or shared with me personally how the stories (albeit serious or silly, long or short) I've shared have been an encouragement to you. I am SO GLAD! Thank you for your sincere feedback.

 I personally love reading the blogs that I follow. I look forward to signing in, see who's posted a new entry, and gaining insight into the lives of those who've shared. I enjoy hearing about other's adventures, trying new recipes that are tested and highly recommended, enjoying a funny or serious story that happened in the life of a dear friend, and reading how God is teaching them, even if it's just what a verse has meant to them that day. I've found this "community" to be one of great encouragement and nurture. The blogs I read bring me joy.

God's Word tells us to be an encouragement to each other, always considering how to push each other to love and do good.
I find that blogging (as well as other social media tools) can be used for just that.

Hebrews 10:24-25 "And let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds, not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more, as you see the day drawing near."

Of course, this is possible as we meet in church with each other. But, I find it's also possible as we share our hearts on here, uplifting each other through what God is doing in our lives. It's not a replacement for meeting with each other face to face, please don't misunderstand me. But it is a wonderful avenue by which to encourage and be encouraged.

With all that said, I'm gonna' keep on bloggin'! :-)

And, I'd like to encourage you to as well!!

A special tug to those of you who blog but don't publish (you know who you are :-) ... Don't be afraid to share. You don't have to publish everything you think and write. But, I, for one, am interested in what you have to say. You matter, and so do your thoughts.

Love you all!
-Allyson

2 comments:

  1. I thought I was the only one that struggled with blogging...haha! I have started and deleted several blogs. I just had to figure what God wanted my blog to be. I want to share about our life, but I want others to see God and glorify Him, not "me". So glad you shared and are going to keep sharing your heart! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are kindred spirits! I have been working on a post in my head for a few weeks now called "Why Do I Blog" and it has similar thoughts!! It's always a risk putting yourself out there, but if it glorifies God and encourages someone, its worth it! I love reading your blog!! :)

    ReplyDelete