Monday, March 14, 2011

"Lettuce Alone"

I know, I've been a bad blogger. I haven't been on here to write in over 2 weeks. But, we are alive and well.

I've been busy with some "extras" around the house. One of them is painting my kitchen.

Ever since we moved in, our kitchen's been a dark brown color. Honestly, I never terribly disliked it. It was neutral, but it really didn't exude any personality. I LOVE bright colors! Seriously, sometimes I wonder why I wasn't born in Mexico, or somewhere that uses bright and warm colors in all of their decorating.

Thoughout the years of my marriage... ever since I've had my own house to decorate, I've clipped out magazine pictures or kept articles with pictures of decorating that I like. One thing is very consistent in all of them. NONE of them have white walls. In fact, most of them stay in the red and orange families. Staying with this theme, I have a red wall in my dining room, and my living room walls are orange, along with 1 yellow wall. I love the cheeriness the colors automatically lend to the rooms. So, as I picked a color for my kitchen, I kept cheeriness in mind. I ended up choosing a bright green, called "Lettuce Alone".



Before....


....and after!










I'm very pleased with the result! My kitchen is bright and cheerful! Dave says that you can still see in there at night when the lights are out. HAHA.

I found the name of the color kind of funny. "Lettuce Alone" seemed very appropriate, as I've been preparing to get a garden in this year. Some of the seeds I want to plant I've had since last year. So, before I went to the trouble of planting them and then figuring out that they were no longer viable, I wanted to check them to make certain they would germinate. This became a fun little project for me and my boys. We took a styrofoam egg carton and placed 2-3 seeds from each packet in to seperate sections of the egg carton. We placed the seeds on small, folded pieces of paper towel. Then, we made little flags to label the seeds. We've watered them every other day, and kept them underneath a small flourescent, over-counter light during the day. After only 1 week, this is our result! Looks like we're good to go with our seeds! I'm getting very excited about our garden!!
Lettuce sprouts :-)

3 comments: