Thursday, March 31, 2011

a project... with a story...

I don't have a lot of time to spend on here right now. But, I wanted to share this quick story with you all!

Here are the facts:
-my husband is in Haiti on a missions trip
-I tend to lack the ability to sleep well when he's not home
-so, I like to take on home projects while he's gone... it's something to do when the boys go to bed... fun to learn how to do new things... as well as a great feeling of accomplishment!

In the past, I've painted rooms, changed tile flooring, replaced light fixtures, etc...
This time, I decided to replace a bathroom sink!

This is my first attempt at a plumbing job, and, so far so good.

Just like any project, it has become a little more laborous than I originally gave it credit. Part of that is my own fault, as I decided to paint the bathroom as well. (right now I'm waiting for the coat I finished to dry, and then I have to get back to work)

When I was at the hardware store a couple of weeks ago, I picked up some paint samples for the bathroom, just to give them some thought. The one I kept leaning towards was a strawberry color... kind of pinkish. My boys were not thrilled.

I had sort of let the idea of painting the bathroom go to the back of my brain... that is until today. HA!

I began the plumbing part of the project last night, detaching the water supply (yes, I turned it off first), and taking out the old sink. In doing so, I snapped one of the "nut attacher things" (my own plumber lingo) in half. Yes, that's brute strength right there! So I had to go to the hardware store today for that, as well as a new faucet, and... some other things. hehe.

While I was there, I thought of checking the oops paint area. You know, the $5 paint color mistakes nobody else wants. When I looked where the section usually is, there were no paint cans there. I walked up and down all 3 aisles that have paint supplies, thinking they may have moved them. When I got to the last aisle, with no oops paint in sight, I actually said outloud, "Lord, I'd really love to get some reddish paint, but I need it cheap...?" We'd been at the store for a while at this point, and the boys had reached the point where they were looking at me with those begging eyes of "can we please go home now?"
I asked the worker at the paint counter where the oops paints were. She told me that just this morning, someone had come in and bought ALL of them, there were no more. Bummer! But, then she asked me what color I was looking for? I told her a reddish, somewhere between a strawberry and red clay. Her eyes lit up, and she ran over to a gallon of paint sitting on the counter. When she brought it over, I saw that it was almost the exact color I was describing! She went on to explain that she'd JUST mixed the paint, and the customer who'd asked for it decided that they didn't want it afterall. I ended up getting a brand new, just mixed gallon of paint for $5! Don't tell me God isn't into the details of our lives!!


I couldn't help but to laugh! I looked at my boys, and asked them if they realized what had just happened? D  (11 yrs. old) responded. Laughing.. (I'm pretty sure at me... in a respectful, loving way though) "Yes... God gave you the paint you asked for. Now, can we go home?" haha

I went on to tell the worker what a blessing it was to get this paint, and how God had shown Himself in this little detail. She agreed with some things I said, and hopefully seeds were planted.

As my boys and I were walking away from the paint counter, she stopped us just to compliment the boys on their outstanding behaviour. :-) Makes a Momma's heart proud. But, even more importantly, it was a great lesson for the boys. Not only were we able to testify of our great God who loves us, but they'd been an example of His love in how they'd obeyed me while we were there. The boys were keenly aware of the fact that if they hadn't been obedient, that their behaviour would have marred the name of Jesus.

When the Holy Spirit lives in us, we have the capability of sharing His love and light wherever we are. Or, we can choose to hide it, and miss great opportunities to see Him and share Him.
I'm glad He met me and my boys in the paint aisle today :-).

 I must get off of here and get back to work!
Here's a sneak peek of what's up in my hall bathroom...
the old sink...

I am NOT going to miss that yellow sink... it already looks better :-)

2 comments:

  1. Love how God is always there with us, in every little detail like a $5 gallon of paint!

    Can't wait to see the finished project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allyson, you are such an inspiration! I love your "can do" attitude and the way God provides for you and your family. Thanks for sharing and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished project! You should Freecycle that yellow sink or sit it out side for a bird bath. :)

    ReplyDelete