Thursday, April 21, 2011

GREEN, everywhere I look... but, where are the PEPPERS?

Our lives have recently consisted of running back and forth to the baseball field...literally, almost every day. Three of our boys are playing. Fortunately, the 2 youngest are on the same team. Our little man is playing up to the next league, mostly for sanity sake. I cannot imagine trying to keep up with 3 teams. Plus, he's enjoying the challenge of having the ball pitched to him, rather than another year of t-ball.

If we're not at practice, we're at a game. Here are the younger 2 at one of their practices. They're the one's in the black caps. Aren't they such cute, little baseball players? :-) Incidentally, I almost got knocked out at this particular practice.


This practice was held at a school, that is literally in the middle of cow pastures. After taking some pictures of the boys, I found myself sitting on the ground, my eyes begging to close. I'm pretty certain it was the warmth of the sun beating down on me that finally beckoned me to lay my head down. Although, the earthy smell of cow manure can have the effect of ether, or so I've been told... HA! Either way, the grass underneath me was so green, thick and soft, and I was so tired. I decided to lay my head back, and rest my eyes.

I was sitting a good distance from the practice fields. My sons were practicing on one, with their 7/8 year old team, and another senior league team was practicing on the other field. No sooner had the voices around me started to "muddle", blending together, as I dozed off...
"ALLYSON!!!" I jolt to the sound of my name being shouted! As I sit up, the ball lands about a foot from where my head had been laying. The senior league had begun their batting practice. To say the least, I stayed awake after that.

The only time we've had a break from baseball is when it's raining. We've welcomed the rain, as it's given us some down time, as well as making everything outside wonderfully green. I love the yellow/green hue that the outside takes on right before and after a good rain shower. I also love a good thunderstorm. The low rumble, and sometimes heart stopping thud of thunder is amazing to me. It makes me stand in awe of our Creator, as it displays His power... knowing a storm is only a mere glimpse. We experienced some good thunderstorms this past week. In the words of my little man, "BOOM! That thunder was sitting right on us! It shook the house!" Many local areas had flooding. We just have a lot of yard work in our future.


One week ago today, my boys and I planted some vegetable seeds, and placed them in a our shelved greenhouse. I'm excited about this little greenhouse! We planted broccoli, zucchini, cucumbers, tomatoes, and bell peppers. This picture was taken 3 days ago, but now most of them are standing approximately 3-4 inches tall, and ready to be transplanted, in only 1 week! All of the seeds have sprouted, except for the bell peppers. I have to say, I'm disappointed with the peppers. I was the most excited to plant them, and determined to get a yield from them. Have you priced peppers in the grocery store recently??! Are they putting gold inside of them?? Crazy! Anyways, so far, no peppers. I'm not giving up though. There's still time to get some seedlings going.

1 comment:

  1. Love the greenhouse! Peppers never seem to do well for us. Even when we plant a pepper plant that someone else has grown from seed. What's up with the peppers? Do they not like our neighborhood or something? lol We really need to get cracking on our little garden. We haven't even tilled the earth yet and our little seed potatoes are sitting in the garage begging to be planted. P.S. Glad you didn't get a ball to the noggin!

    ReplyDelete