Wednesday, February 8, 2012

where my breathing changes

My small child curls up in my lap. Exhausted, it's not long and his eyes are closing, blinking away the cares of this day. He stirs only to adjust to sufficient comfort, his head lying further down in my arms.

Soon, he is completely asleep. I know because his heart begins to slow, likened to a walk from a gallop, he trots into dreamland.... and his breathing changes. No longer short bursts of air passing back and forth, but  deep, lung-filling breaths. I could lay him down or sink further into my chair, holding on, savoring this moment of time. I choose the latter.

He's completely asleep, and completely content. Warm and safe in his mother's arms.... all thoughts vanquish and he's able to rest and be still. He knows he is safe.

When he gets bigger, where will he feel this safe? Where do I feel safe?


In the presence of my Savior, that is where I am safest. That is where I'm compelled to be still, and the cares of the day slip away, falling at the foot of the cross. I'm warmed by His love, the promises in His Word spoken continually to my heart. Curled up in His lap, I am content... and my breathing changes. Life sustaining breaths. He brings rest to my soul. 





Joining wonderful ladies at Far Above Rubies
                                        Women Living Well and                  
                        

2 comments: