Thursday, June 30, 2011

Acknowledgement

I cannot believe that June is ending!! I know I cannot be the only who feels as though this month has fallen away from me, like sand through my fingers. Half of 2011 is gone! Ugh...

This is a brutal reminder that I need to "get on a stick" in some areas of my life. God has pricked my heart in several areas. Some are simple things that I could just do better: like playing with my boys, time management things. Others are personal growth areas: such as eating better and spending more time in God's Word. I've been reminded time and time again about some of these areas, and I'm ashamed to say I've been dragging my feet. Well, it's past time to listen up! And, not only listen, but obey.

Most recently, the boys and I have been talking about acknowledging God, with the main focus on
Proverbs 3:5-6.
"Trust in the Lord, with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths."

It's a commonly quoted passage, one of the first verses many church goers learn. I've known it since childhood, but have never really pondered the entirety of what the verses say. I mean, I get the "trust in the Lord, with all your heart". But, what about the "lean not on your own understanding"?

Are there times when I've made decisions based solely upon my own knowledge?

Then, we're told to acknowledge Him, in ALL our ways. And, He'll direct our paths.

I don't know why, but until recently, I'd never thought about the order of those events. We all want guidance and direction from God. But, we must first acknowledge Him.... in ALL ways.

How many times have I missed an opportunity to acknowledge Him?

Do I do this while going through my mundane daily life? Is He my constant focus while cleaning, cooking, playing, weeding, folding laundry or shopping? How about when I'm interacting with my children, husband, friends or neighbors?

I can't help but to think of times when I've messed up, gotten upset with the boys, or not talked to a neighbor simply because I was too tired. There are other examples, I assure you. These are just the ones that come to the forefront of my mind. Anyways, I think of those times, and realize that I did not acknowledge Christ in the midst of them. And, consequently, I missed the path He chose for me in those moments. While these small moments may not be earth shattering, or lead me completely off the path and work God has for me, they are stumbles. I think of it like walking on the curb and having one of my feet miss it as I step. There are times when I can put my foot right back up on the curb, or path, so to speak. But, there are other times when I get a sprained ankle, and find myself trying to recuperate. Those are the times when I feel angry, sometimes bitter and hardened. And, my eyes fall completely off of the path He has for me.

I don't know if any of this makes sense to any of you, but plain and simple, my desire is to obey this verse. I want to acknowledge in ALL ways, in ALL things, in ALL circumstances. And, I'm excited to see the path He has for me.

I praise God for His forgiveness and patience. He's promised to finish the work He's begun in me to completion. I know that despite my best efforts, I will fail on my own. Any good that is in me is only Christ living through me.

On this note, my boys recently reminded me of some ways to acknowledge Christ in all ways. One wouldn't think that there would be many times at a major league baseball game to do so... but, they proved there are...


As soon as we got to the level of our nosebleed seats :-), the boys ran over to the side. They exclaimed, "Look at the view!", "That's amazing!", "Look at the sky God made!"


While a thunderstorm kept us underground during a rain delay, they commented, "This is fun! God's allowing us to be here longer with the whole family."




And, my favorite of the evening, "God made peanuts the perfect snack. They have their own case, and they are YUUUUUMMY!"

5 comments:

  1. your blog really spoke to me and yes I get where your coming from..I think and feel the same way all the time..just wanted to share and thank you for doing the same.... <3Donna A

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a post I read from time to time talking about Ministering in the Mundane. It keeps me focused.

    It's on Little little Hearts Home.
    Also I am in the middle of this great book called drum roll please.... Ministry of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson. Great BOOK!

    Kelly

    PS- Peanuts are Evil!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna...I'm so glad that you were encouraged! Thank YOU for sharing this.
    Ktribe...PEANUTS are perfect!:-) that is, unless you, or someone you love have allergies to them... Thanks for the information on the other blog and book. I'll have to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally get this! Thanks for being so honest and so open! I love that about you and Pastor D! (It's also sooo precious to hear our children acknowlegding God in everything!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Allyson, I was blessed to read this tonight. Thank you for sharing! Proverbs 3:5-6 is my life verse and it's the one that God has used over and over again to speak to my heart.

    ReplyDelete