Thursday, December 23, 2010

A Saviour is Born

 ... gatherings, decorating, baking, buying, wrapping, a room that looks like Santa's workshop exploded, giving, festive music, lights, spicy and sweet scents, a kitchen where you can't see the counter tops for the baking ingredients, reading special Christmas books, candlelight, countdown and excitement...

All of these things come to mind when I think of the Christmas season.  I admit that I love all of these aspects of Christmastime. But, there is 1 aspect that I treasure most of all.

In the midst of the busyness of this season I am so grateful for the moments that I get to sit next to the fire, sip my coffee and spend time in God's Word. I treasure this time of listening to Him, as He speaks to me through His word. He's reminded me over and over again that we only celebrate because He loves us so much, that He chose to provide a way for us to know Him.


He came humbly, as a baby.
He knew that one day He'd pay the penalty for our sin.
He was born to die.

I've heard the story of Christ's birth my entire life. With each passing year though, the awesomeness and wonder of His coming becomes more glorious to me.

There's a song that I love... it's by This Hope... and it says:

"Do you know Him better than you did last year?
Is this song a little brighter, filled with Christmas cheer?
When you hear "Joy to the World", does it make you want to sing?
Does your heart want to celebrate the season?
Are you walkin', talkin', captivated with the Reason?
Singin' glory in the highest, it's Christmas time again!"

It's a fun, upbeat song... not your average "reflective" piece. However, the lyrics ring true for me. They're a great reminder that Christ is the reason we celebrate.

I will continue to treasure my time with God by the fireplace, as well as all of the other festivities that come with this wonderful season.

And, as I read my mug, "A Saviour is Born", I will reflect on the miraculous birth of a tiny baby, be ever grateful for the awesome privilege of knowing Him, and be reminded of the promise that He is coming again.

No comments:

Post a Comment