Friday, December 31, 2010

Brother's Store

We've been doing this for 3 years now, and the boys LOVE it! I read about this idea, I believe in a Family Fun magazine, and decided to try it. I'm so glad I did! It's become a tradition in our home. The boys get so excited on Christmas Eve, knowing that they get to "shop" for each other.
All throughout the year, I pick up items that I know each boy will like (at discounted prices). I then store them away, in a box that the boys do not know about. On Christmas Eve, I set up the guest room as a "store", with 4-6 items to choose from. 3 of the boys (the 3 whose gifts aren't out) then come in and shop for their 1 brother. The boys wrap their gifts right then. We do this 4 seperate times, until all brothers have a gift to give to each other.
The boys pay $2 per gift (cash that we later use for roller skating and bowling). While this cost may seem trivial, it does give them ownership over the gift. They give the gift with the knowledge that they picked it out and paid something for it.


shopping for 1 brother

some gifts are wrapped


each boy labels the gifts they're giving


some gifts are placed in bags

gifts are then placed by the giver near the tree



all gifts are given with much joy...

...and received  with much thankfulness

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this tradition, Allyson. Now as our boys are getting a little older, we've adopted a similar idea.

    ReplyDelete