Monday, November 15, 2010

My Little Boy is Becoming a Man...

I am a Mommy to 4 incredible boys. There are moments in almost every day that I find myself in complete awe that God would bless me with these 4 little men. They are amazing. Each one of them is growing SO very quickly!

I am most keenly aware of this in our oldest. It seems that with every day, we wake up to an older boy,  change having taken place seemingly overnight. He has grown so tall, and reminds me each day by telling me that "I'm short". :-) His voice is doing that cute low, high change. He laughs at himself quite often over the sudden fluctuations.  He's incredibly responsible, constantly taking on new and more difficult tasks. He's a hard worker, rarely complaining, doing his best.  He's such a blessing... and he's becoming a man right before my eyes. 

I was hit hard with this reminder yesterday...

He and I were sitting in church service, sharing his Bible, following along with the sermon passage. There was a note written in his Bible that pertained to what was being said, and he pointed it out to me. As he did so, he slid his Bible over to me, sliding physically closer to me as well. That's when I noticed something.
His arm was around me.
It wasn't just that he'd put his arm around me though. He was purposeful in it. It was the way he looked at me and smiled, the way he sat there in comfort.
As my eyes welled up, I realized, for the first ever, I felt a sense of protection under my son's arm.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, what an incredible way that God has created it - so that the Mom watches over the boy as he grows up, but so that he watches over his mom when he's no longer a little boy. Never even thought about this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allyson - It was a rare Sunday that Matt and I were able to sit in the service and I did notice that you two sitting together...it was a very sweet picture. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. You and PD are such an example to Matt and I as we raise our 4 boys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww so sweet. Keep raising those boys for Christ!
    I Hope to have many son in-laws like that one day! ;-)
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete